Faith News

June 2016: Courtney Johnson

The gospel powerfully transcends culture, language, religion, and people. It rises above all the obstacles missionaries face on the foreign field—even obstacles like utter silence. Faith alum Courtney Johnson (’06–’07) proclaims the gospel to a people who have not heard the gospel because they cannot hear the gospel. She does so by working as the deaf ministry coordinator for Mission of Hope in Titanyen, Haiti.

Courtney came to Faith for one year to receive a Biblical foundation before transferring to study American Sign Language. “The high level of education and integrity of the Biblical doctrine taught at Faith convinced me to choose Faith,” Courtney explained. Her family’s previous experiences also helped her see that Faith would prepare her for a life of ministry.

In 2013 God began working in Courtney’s heart to pursue missions. Through a series of sermons, books, and events, God led her to go on a one-week missions trip to Haiti in 2014.

“In the best way possible, that week wrecked me and completely changed the trajectory of my life. I was struck by the needs in Haiti and by the power of the gospel to bring life transformation. By the end of my week there, I knew God would be bringing me back in a longer-term capacity to serve and minister in Haiti. By the grace of God, I returned to Haiti in January 2015 and haven’t looked back since.”

As the deaf ministry coordinator, Courtney partners with deaf leaders in Laveque, a nearby village with 168 deaf families. She works closely with the leaders there through interpreting and discipling. Mission of Hope also employs deaf seamstresses, giving Courtney the opportunity to interpret for their Bible studies and meetings as well as build relationships. This is especially important as Haitian culture is heavily relationship oriented and discipleship is a slow process.

“My time in Haiti has taught me many things, but the thing God continues to teach me again and again is that the hard things in life are better. It would be so easy to choose the simplest path in life, but that is not where I am pushed past my limits and forced to rest entirely in God’s strength. While living at the end of my rope is not at all comfortable, it is, in a paradoxical way, preferable. It is there where God’s promises shine brightly and the Spirit’s strength is seen. It is there that I grow.”