The Faith Witness
The online news and information magazine for alumni and friends of Faith
October 2014 Edition
ENROLLMENT INCREASE THIS FALL
We are pleased to report an increase in our enrollment this fall in both the college and seminary. We are thankful for the larger number of students God has sent our way. When you add in the number of students taking online classes, our enrollment numbers go even higher.
We had the largest freshmen class since 2009. We are especially pleased to see an increase in freshmen choosing the Pastoral and Missions programs.The faculty and staff are busily involved in discipling all of our students and equipping them to take the Word to the World.
MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR GENE MATLOCK
On Tuesday, October 7, Gene Matlock, Faith's vice president for advancement and church relations, went to be with the Lord after a short battle with cancer. In his role as advancement officer Gene tirelessly traveled the country making friends for Faith and raising funds for the institution. We will miss him greatly. His wife, Judy, has asked that memorial gifts be sent to Faith. Click here to read a tribute to Gene.
Faith had a memorial service for Gene on Wednesday, October 29, at 9:00 a.m. in the Nettleton Center, and his wife, Judy, was able to be with us. You can view the service here.
STATE APPROVAL FOR THE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
This fall the Faith Christian School Department was granted continued approval for our grads to receive licensure from the state of Iowa. This accomplishment recognizes the high standards of our Christian School Department and its skill in equipping our students to serve the Lord in a professional manner.
BAPTIST MID-MISSIONS CANDIDATE CLASS
The summer BMM candidate class of 23 individuals included 9 Faith grads.
• Elaine (Jensen '77) Fessel with her husband, Rick, are headed for Germany to work alongside Faith alums Willi and Heidi Slischewski. Rick and Elaine served previously in Germany, so they are acquainted with the language and culture.
• Ron ('86) and Joy (Lobb '86) Hemsworth will serve at Missionary Acres in Silva, Missouri.
• Andrew ('09) and Janae (Lindow '11) Gonnerman have already spent some time in Japan and plan to return there.
• Luke (current student) and Bethany (Spink '08, '09) Snell plan to serve in Germany.
• Andy Scott ('09, '10) will assist Faith alumni Bill and Deb Edmondson in Boston.
• Nicki Carr ('13), a graduate of Faith's missionary nursing program, will have a medical ministry in Romania.
We wish these individuals a speedy deputation ministry and effective service for Christ in their fields.
MINISTRY PREP FOR HIGH SCHOOLERS
Faith is initiating a new youth activity in February 2015—Ministry in Focus. This weekend is designed for high schoolers who are considering full-time ministry. We want to do all we can to encourage students to consider the high calling of ministry. The dates are February 5-7. Click here for more details.
FALL BIBLE CONFERENCE
November 3-7 are the dates for this year's Bible Conference. The theme is "For Our Admonition," taken from 1 Corinthians 10:11. Get full details here.
2015 BIBLE READING SCHEDULES
The 2015 Bible Reading Schedules from Faith will be available in November. You may order your schedules by calling 1.515.964.0601, by e-mailing us, or by ordering online.
Keep up with your classmates and friends. Also be sure to send us your updated information so we can include it on our Alumni page.
FAITH IN FOCUS
Faith students, faculty, and alumni are busy taking the Word to the World. Visit our Faith in Focus page to see who is featured this month.
• Giving to Faith—Please consider how you can help Faith financially.
• Update Your Info—Help us keep up with you and keep information flowing to you.
• Alumni Projects—Help us accomplish some needed projects.
• Memorial Gifts—We thank those who have given to Faith in memory of a loved one.
• Presidential Search—Please pray with us for the Lord's direction in the selection of a new president.
• Faith Eagles—Keep up with the Faith athletic teams.
• Seminary Modules—Find out what courses are available and which one could help you in your ministry.
• High School Online Classes—Earn college credits even before coming to Faith.
• Seminary Online Classes—Start or complete your M.A. program at Faith.
Ministry in Focus WeekendFebruary 5-7, 2015
Are you considering full-time ministry? Join us for this special weekend to talk to pastors and missionaries and learn more about ministry.
Scholarship WeekendMarch 19-21, 2015
For seniors who have applied to Faith. Get to know Faith personnel and interview for substantial scholarships.
Student Leadership SummitApril 16-18, 2015
Evangelist Will Galkin and Dr. Paul Hartog will help teens confront their culture rather than conform to it.